Friday, March 26, 2010

Life's Journey

Life’s Journey
© Pamela Guinn

Let’s start with a few definitions from the dictionary of Life & Journey

Journey - a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time

Life - the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally
A mode or manner of existence
Effervescence or sparkle

What does the bible say about life?

There are 475 references in the bible about life. One of my favorite passages is John 10:10
the thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly
Here is the translation for the word life in this passage from Strong’s Concordance.

Life translation zōē

1) Life
a) The state of one who is possessed of vitality or is animate
b) Every living soul
2) Life
a) Of the absolute fullness of life, both essential and ethical, which belongs to God and through him both to the hypostatic "logos" and to Christ in whom the "logos" put on human nature
b) life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last forever.

Abundantly translation perissos
1) exceeding some number or measure or rank or need
a) over and above, more than is necessary, superadded
1) exceeding abundantly, supremely
2) something further, more, much more than all, more plainly
b) superior, extraordinary, surpassing, uncommon
1) pre-eminence, superiority, advantage, more eminent, more remarkable, more excellent

What does the bible say about journey?
Journey translation naca`occurs 146 times
1) to pull out, pull up, set out, journey, remove, set forward, depart
a) (Qal)
1) to pull out or up
2) to set out, depart
3) to journey, march
4) to set forth (of wind)
b) (Niphal) to be pulled up, be removed, be plucked up
c) (Hiphil)

This particular use of the word journey occurs 705 times!

Translation - Derek
1) to cause to set out, lead out, cause to spring up
2) to remove, quarry
1) way, road, distance, journey, manner
a) road, way, path
b) journey
c) direction
d) manner, habit, way
e) of course of life (fig.)
f) of moral character (fig.)

This particular use of the word journey occurs 12 times!

Translation – macca’ prounounced mas-sah’
1) a pulling up (of stakes), breaking camp, setting out, journey
a) pulling up, breaking camp
b) setting out
c) station, stage, journey
This particular use of the word journey occurs 154 times! Translation – poreuō
Pronounced po-ryü'-ō
1) to lead over, carry over, transfer
a) to pursue the journey on which one has entered, to continue on one's journey
b) to depart from life
c) to follow one, that is: become his adherent
1) to lead or order one's life

Now that we have the “frame work” let’s look at our journey in this life.

I have been seeking God a lot lately about my role and destiny in this life on earth. Who am I, where am I going, does anything I’ve done really matter? Those kinds of questions have been on my heart and mind a lot lately. I realize that I can sometimes go way overboard on the “what if’s” and why and totally over analyze things to death. However, I believe that it is important to evaluate where we are and where we have been occasionally. One thing I keep hearing is remember the history, if you don’t remember history it is bound to repeat itself. I certainly have a few histories I don’t care to duplicate! Several places in the word God encourages people to have a memorial, in other words remember and don’t forget where you’ve been. Testify to the goodness of God in ALL that He has brought you through.

One other thing I tend to do is get so focused on where I’m going that I forget to enjoy the now in my journey of this life. You can be so laser focused on the destination that you totally miss the beauty in the journey! Sometimes the destination is not the main thing, the journey to get there is. Have you ever been on vacation and you were so excited to see something or go somewhere but when you got there is was a huge letdown? But the trip there was a blast? Sometimes I think we overlook the getting there and miss a lot of what God has for us here, today.

Recently I passed a funeral procession and there were only 4 cars in it. I was on the phone with Jeff and I said how sad that a person could live their whole life and the only seeming impact they had equals 4 cars of people. I think that person must surely have been a very lonely soul. For sometime my prayer has been God let me love people as you loved them. I take Him at His word that the greatest gift is love. I believe that love truly is the currency of Heaven. A long time ago He gave me a word that he was going to teach me to love the unlovable. I was young and stupid back then and thought “wow, what an awesome word.” Little did I know the pain that word was going to bring to my life. However, as painful as learning to love the unlovable has been there isn’t anything I would change. I still don’t think I’m there yet, there are a few people in my life that are a huge pain and I don’t totally have the love thing flowing for them at all times but I’m working on it and asking Him for more grace to accomplish this task. Here is the dictionary definition for love - a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. There is this one person that God has put in my life that these feelings are a huge struggle. However, I sometimes have these feelings for her and I’m confident that if I keep seeking Him with my whole heart someday I will reach this lofty goal of loving the unlovable.

So for me the journey of life is all about sharing ourselves with our fellow human beings as God brings them into our sphere of influence. Loving Him first with our whole heart and loving others as we love our selves. Ouch, that last one may hurt a bit as well, love our self? I struggled with this one for years as well, but God my deliverer showed me how much He loved me and that I am worthy of that love just because He created me! I pray He would show that to you today as well. But above all love Him and let Him shine through you! That you might sparkle and reflect Him to all you encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment